Home > About SJIJ > History


The school was officially opened by Mrs. C.C. Tan, wife of the Chairman of the Christian Brothers' Old Boys Association on 11 September.

Brother Basil, a former Director of St. George's School in Penang took over the helm upon Brother Thomas's retirement. For the first years, St. Joseph 's Afternoon School shared the same premises as St. Michael's School.

St Joseph 's Afternoon School moved to Bras Basah, St. Joseph 's Junior moved in.

St Joseph 's Junior merged wit St. Michael's to become SMS I and SMS II. Under the principalship of Brother Basil Voon, the school reached dizzying heights in sports and in the academic fields. St. Michael's School ruled supremely in Soccer, it was dubbed the “The Soccer School”.

Brother Basil retired and Mr Ho Fook Seng, a teacher from St. Joseph 's Institution succeeded him in January 1967.

The statue of St. Michael, the Archangel, which used to adorn the church of St. Peter & Paul was given to the school by its parish priest, Fr Mathias Tung.

Mr Ho, a man of vision and quiet dynamism, saw the need for forging a closer relationship between parents and teachers to ensure support and cooperation from the home. In September, the St. Michael's School Parent-Teacher Association (SMSPTA) was born. It first president was Dr PS Chin who worked very closely with Mr Ho.

In July the following year, the first PTA newsletter made its appearance.

Brother Dennis Watt left for Rome to study for the priesthood.

Mr Lim Buck Thow became St. Michael's School fifth principal. During his office, he felt the need to expand the school facilities. Finally, the rebuilding of a new school building was agreed upon to cater to the ever-increasing demands of Michaelians.

Half of the school population moved to the Gentle Road site in what was termed as the “great exodus”.


Mr Dominic Yip succeeded Mr Lim and immediately envisaged the difficult task of raising funds of rebuilding the new school. He steered the formation of the School Management Committee. One of the tasks of the Management Committee, chaired by Mr Adrian Goh was to raise $1.3 million to match the total grant of $5.3 million from the government. The imposing St. Michael's School today attests to their success.

The whole school moved, this time to Rangoon Road , where they stayed until 1990. Meanwhile, Mr Yip overseered the building of the new St. Michael's School at Essex Road.

On 4th January, Michaelians stepped into their new $6.3 million school. Mr Roland Chin was posted to SMS as the Vice-Principal on 14 February.

On 9 September, Mrs Florence Lim joined as the Second Vice-Principal.

Always a pace-setter, St. Michael's School was one of the three schools to function as a Full Day School from January. School hours are from 8.30am to 3.3pm. As pupils took their lunches with their teachers, a hi-tech kitchen was built at a cost of $500 000. A Games Room, equipped with shower facilities was also built. The Day School also offered an After School Care Programme (ASCP) which functioned from 3.30pm to 6.00pm.

On 28 th May, Archbishop Gregory Yong blessed the school.

On 18 July, BG(Res) George Yeo, Minister for Information and the Arts & Second Minster for Foreign Affairs officially declared open the new school building. Leong Wei Lik did the school proud. He was the top PSLE pupil beating 39,216 other pupils, scoring an aggregate of 288.

The school reverted back to a Single Session school after the Full Day School Programme was discontinued.

Mr Roland Chin was posted to St. Stephen's School in January.

The school became a Double Session School.

On 15 April, Mrs Florence Lim, the first lady principal, succeeded Mr Dominic Yip who was posted to St. Stephen School.

On 26 June, Mr Michael Yeo was posted to SMS as th new Vice-Principal.

We were honoured to have visitors like Mr Sidek bin Saniff, Minister of State for Education on 4 August and Mr Koh Cher Siang, Pernament Secretary of Education on 26 August.

SMS celebrated its 40 th Anniversary and the PTA celebrated its 25 th Anniversary respectively on 19 November at the Shangri-La Hotel. The Guest of Honour was RADM(NS) Teo Chee Hean, an old boy of the school.

SMS's student population stood at 1523 spread over 39 classes.

SMS came into the international picture when three of our P5C boys, namely, Jordan Isac, Nigel Fernandez and Irving Kat, represented Singapore in the International Children's Conference on the Environment at Eastbourne , England from 23-25 October.

Six of our boys went to Suzhou , China on a Chinese Immersion programme.

Nicholas Lee from P4B represented SASA in Swimming Meet held in Sarawak.

1996 also saw the introduction of celebrations of all the major festivals in SMS as well as Chinese enrichment programmes.

The student population increased to more than 1680 spread over 43 classes.

Surendran, a pupil from Pr 4Q was selected to play the part of Litter Gavroche in the musical, “Les Miserables”.

The School was appraised by a team of inspectors from the Ministry of Education on 22 April to 27 April.

Mr Ahmad Burok, Acting Vice-Principal, since July, was awarded the Efficiency medal on National Day.
The student population again reached new heights; 1745 pupils spread over 45 classes. Mr Joseph Wee, who had been teaching in St. Michaels' School for the last 35 years passed away after a prolonged illness.

The first ever “Family Day” and “Father & Son” overnight camp at Sentosa on 9 and 10 August met with an overwhelming response from parents.

PTA ‘s badminton tournament held from 2 September also received good response in the “Father & Son Doubles” event.

The school took on a new look with the completion of the “R & R” programme. A new walkway linking the school with the bus-bay was built.

The student population increased to 1811 spread over 48 classes with about 70 teaching staff members.

School links has been established with St. Michaels' College in Adelaide , Australia where 20 P4 pupils, 3 teachers and the Principal made an educational tour there on 1-7 November.

We had a total student population of 1927 in 50 classes. Mr Robin Ong joined us as Vice-Principal as of 21 December 1998.

30 P4 boys went on an Educational Tour to Hong Kong and were hosted by La Salle Primary School , our premiere Christian Brothers school.

On 26 Nov, the school moved over to 10 Winstedt Road for holding for two years while the Essex Road campus is upgraded.

As part of MOE's PRIME Programme, an extensive Upgrading Programme has started to turn the original campus into a well-equipped school with the latest dimensions and provisions.

Mrs Florence Lim left us on a routine tour of duty to be Principal of Keng Seng Primary School and Ms Wee Siew Sun came on board to head St. Michael's as of 15 December 1999.

We had a total student population of 1891 in 50 classes. Classes started on 3 Jan in our holding premises at 10 Winstedt Road.

On 15 February, we held joint Total Defence Day activities with Monk' Hill Secondary School.

Selected P5 boys took part in the Innovation Programme which culminated in the Young Innovators' Fair in July. From 17 to 23 July, the school hosted a team of 30 boys and 5 teachers from La Salle Primary School , Hong Kong, who came over to Singapore on an Educational/Cultural Tour.

241 P6 boys and 11 teachers went on an Edu-Tour of Malacca from 31 October to 2 November. A special Robotics Workshop was organized for all P4 boys in October and November.

Six teachers represented the school at the Asia-Pacific LaSallian Educators' Conference held in India from 1 to 6 December.

St. Michael s' School (SMS) functioned on 11 January with 590 pupils on land in Essex Road , purchased from the then Singapore Improvement Trust. The school was named after Brother Ascislus Michael, the then Director of St. Joseph's Institution. The first principal was Brother Thomas.